Episode 95: Paralympic KL2 Champion, 6 x World Champion Paracanoe (OAM) – Curtis McGrath
I recently sat down with Paralympic KL2 Champion, 6 x World Champion Paracanoe (OAM) – Curtis McGrath for Episode 95 of The Physical Performance Show podcast.
At age 24 years in 2012, Curtis tragically lost both legs after stepping on a homemade improvised explosive device in a blast in Afghanistan while on active duty as a Combat Engineer.
This is an inspiring story of triumph over tragedy where Curtis went on to become a Gold Medallist in the 2016 Rio Paralympic Games 200m KL2 sprint canoe (4 years to date post the incident), he is a Paracanoe world champion (5 years to date of injury) and Invictus Games Ambassador. This is an episode not to be missed as it will move and inspire you.
To listen to Episode 95
To listen to the full interview on I -Tunes click HERE>>
To listen to the interview on Soundcloud click HERE>>
Don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to ensure you get performance insights from our future upcoming exciting guests.
In this episode Curits shares:
- Paddling with sharks
- Growing up in Queenstown as a teenager
- Moving to Australia
- Exiting the military after 12 years
- The first introduction to kayaking and developing a respect of the water
- Enlisting in the AUS military in 2006 and the first deployment to East Timor
- The rigours of jungle training
- Leaving a legacy of East Timor with humanitarian work
- Deployment to Afghanistan in 2012 as a Combat Engineer in the Australian Defence Force
- An incident in Afghanistan that resulted in Curtis losing both of his legs
- Being the paramedic for himself-telling mates how to put tourniquets on legs
- Extent of his injuries and rehabilitation.
- Declaring that his mates would see him in the Paralympics in the green and gold
- Performance Round and so much more
Show Sponsor NormaTec Recovery
“Get fresh legs faster with Normatec”
NormaTec is the leader in rapid recovery systems designed to give a competitive edge to the world’s elite endurance athletes.
The NormaTec PULSE Recovery Systems are dynamic compression device designed for recovery and rehab, using its patented PULSE technology to help athletes recover faster between workouts and after performance by reducing muscle soreness and improving circulation.
To find out more about NormaTec Recovery click HERE>>
To follow Curtis:
- Website: Curtis McGrath
- Facebook: @curtismcgrathofficial
- Instagram: @curtmcgrath
- Twitter: @curtmcgrath
For questions and comments about this Episode
Send to the show host @Brad_Beer (Twitter)